[Wellbeing & You] Supercharge Your Immune System
March 23, 2022
During the Coronavirus outbreak, it is vital to develop a strong immune system to offer protection from infection. Focusing on nutrient dense foods and fostering healthy lifestyle behaviours can help you and your family to stay away from germs.
Top 5 Immune-Boosting Nutrients
- Protein: Milk, eggs, meat, seafood, tofu, nuts, seed
- Beta-carotene (Vitamin A): Sweet potato, carrots, pumpkin, Mango, pink grapefruits
- Omega 3 fatty acids: oily fish (e.g. Salmon), walnuts, grounded flaxseeds
- Vitamin C: Citrus fruits, berries, bell pepper
- Allicin: an anti-inflammatory compound found in garlic
Other nutrients including zinc, vitamin E also influence immune response. It is important to have a healthy balanced diet, increase food varieties and adequate in the overall calories and nutrients.
Other Healthy Lifestyle Behaviours
- Good hygiene
- Adequate sleep
- Regular exercise
- Adequate hydration
Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics