[Sports Nutrition] Refreshing after workout
As a rule of thumb, a good post-workout snack should provide protein, carbohydrates, and fluid. Each of them plays an important role to support after-work out recovery.
Functions of these key nutrients
1. Protein is essential in repairing our broken-down muscles during workout. If it is not yet time for a main meal after gym, grab a cup of milk or yogurt within an hour after workout to supply protein for muscle rebuilding.
2. Carbohydrates are depleted during exercises and the higher the physical activity intensity, the more carbohydrates will be used. Top up a protein snack, such as yogurt, with fruits or granola to provide a source of carbohydrate that we need.
3. Fluid is lost through our sweat and quick breathing as we workout. Besides drinking water or sport drinks, food with an abundant water content, such as apple, fresh berries, and melon, helps further rehydrate our body.
Post workout snack ideas
- Low-fat yogurt with fresh fruits
- Smoothie made with low-fat milk with fresh fruits
- Egg sandwich
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics – Timing Your Pre- and Post-Workout Nutrition. Available at: https://www.eatright.org/fitness/exercise/exercise-nutrition/timing-your-pre-and-post-workout-nutrition. Accessed on 18Jul2022.