[Functional Food] Garlic – Crushing It…to Increase Health Benefits!
August 16, 2021
Crushing it –to increase garlic’s health benefits
- Crushing or chopping garlic releases an enzyme called alliinase, which converts alliin into allicin. Let the garlic stand for at least 10 minutes after crushing to activate enzymes prior cooking.
- Allicin has been found to suppress the growth of cancer cells.
- Allicin stays intact for about two days after it is crushed. Buying fresh garlic!
Recipe: Garlic Aioli
Aioli is a great dip for the fresh and crispy veggie stick or spreads over your sandwich.
- 20ml of olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves
- 6oz of plain low fat Greek Yoghurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp of honey
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400oF;
- Place on an aluminum foil and drizzle lightly with 5ml olive oil and wrap up the foil;
- Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool completely. Once cool, gently loosen and remove the skin;
- Combine garlic, remaining olive oil, yoghurt, lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt and cayenne pepper in a large bowl;
- Pulse gently with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy.
A single food on its own is unlikely to make a major difference. It needs to be as part of a varied and healthy balanced diet to provide health benefits.